4.4-RELEASE is now available

Jordan Hubbard jkh at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 19 02:30:56 PDT 2001

I am very pleased to announce the availability of FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE,
the very very latest in 4.x-STABLE branch technology.  Since FreeBSD
4.3 was released in April 2001, we have made hundreds of fixes,
updated many different components and addressed a wide variety of
security issues.  We have also substantially revamped the
documentation and provided much more comprehensive release notes.
Please see the various HTML (or, at your option, text) files in the
release directory for more information.

4.4-RELEASE is available for i386 and alpha in "FTP installable" form
right now (ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/${arch}/4.4-RELEASE)
and can be installed directly over the net using the boot floppies
or copied to a local NFS/ftp server.

ISO (CD) Images
---------------
We can't promise that all the mirror sites will carry the larger ISO
image distributions, but they are at least available from:

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/${arch}/ISO-IMAGES/4.4/

Where ${arch} is currently "i386" or "alpha".  If you can't afford the
CDs, are impatient, or just want to use it for evangelism purposes,
then by all means download the ISOs, otherwise please do continue to
support the FreeBSD project by purchasing one of its official CD
releases from http://www.freebsdmall.com.  Each CD sets contains the
FreeBSD installation and application package bits for the x86 ("PC")
architecture. For a set of distfiles used to build ports in the ports
collection, please see also the FreeBSD Toolkit, a 6 CD set containing
all such extra bits which can no longer fit on the 4 ISO set.

FreeBSD is also available via anonymous FTP from mirror sites in the
following countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada,
the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong
Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Korea, Latvia,
Malaysia, Mordor, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Russia,
Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, the Ukraine
and the United Kingdom (and quite possibly several others which I've
never even heard of :).

Before trying the central FTP site, please check your regional
mirror(s) first by going to:

  ftp://ftp.<yourdomain>.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

Any additional mirror sites will be labeled ftp2, ftp3 and so on.

Most releases prior to 4.4-RELEASE have been team efforts, only
possible at all due to the collaboration of many different people.  It
still bears noting, however, that 4.4-RELEASE was done completely by a
"release engineering team" rather than "a release engineer" and I
think it's fair to say that with 4.4-RELEASE, we've completed the
transition from having one primary person worry about releases to
having many primary people (re at FreeBSD.org) worry about them.  This is
a distinct improvement from any point of view and, I think, an
important milestone in FreeBSD's progress.

In addition to myself, the release engineering team for 4.4-RELEASE
has been:

    Murray Stokely <murray at FreeBSD.org> : Release Engineering
    Steve Price <steve at FreeBSD.org>     : Package collection
    Satoshi Asami <asami at FreeBSD.org>   : Package collection
    Bruce A. Mah <bmah at FreeBSD.org>     : Release notes

Please join me in thanking them for all the hard work which went into
making this release.  I would also like to thank the FreeBSD
Committers <commiters at FreeBSD.org>, without which there would be
nothing to release, and the many thousands of FreeBSD users world-wide
who contributed bug fixes, features and suggestions.

Thanks!

- Jordan

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org

with "unsubscribe freebsd-announce" in the body of the message