O'Reilly Open Source Convention (July 2002) Call for Papers

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Sat Dec 22 01:26:41 PST 2001

For Immediate Release
December 21, 2001
For more information contact:
Suzanne Axtell, (707) 827-7114 or suzanne at oreilly.com

AT THE HEART OF THE MOVEMENT: PARTICIPATE IN
THE O'REILLY OPEN SOURCE CONVENTION

Sebastopol, CA--One of the most anticipated open source conferences is
gearing up for its 2002 edition: the O'Reilly Open Source Convention.
The creators, players, pundits, and products come together annually at
the O'Reilly Open Source Convention, happening this year at the
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina in sunny San Diego, California,
July 22-26, 2002.

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
This five-day event is designed for programmers, developers,
strategists, and technical staff involved in open source technology and
its applications. We're especially seeking presentations that invoke
open source's innovative, do-more-with-less origins and address the
challenges of today's economic turbulence. What technologies will
thrive, and help us to thrive, in the future? Creating and reinvesting
in community is at the core of open source philosophy--what open source
initiatives continue to strengthen these values?

The O'Reilly Open Source Convention begins with two days of rigorous
tutorials aimed at novices and experienced users of Perl, MySQL, PHP,
Python, XML, Linux, and other key open source technologies. All
tutorials are designed to provide concrete knowledge that leads
directly to greater productivity.

Following the tutorial sessions are three days of multi-tracked
convention sessions focusing on leading technologies, best practices
and case studies, feature talks, demonstrations, and panel debates
examining: Perl, PHP, XML, databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redhat DB,
Sleepycat), operating systems (Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS
X), Python, Apache, and Java. Emerging topics, ethics, and political
and legal issues will also share the debate limelight.

All presenters whose talks are accepted will receive free registration
at the conference.  Deadline for submission of proposals is March 1,
2002. Speakers will be notified by March 11, 2002. Convention
registration opens April 1, 2002.

For more information about the 2002 O'Reilly Open Source Convention,
visit:  http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/

For more details about tutorial and convention session topics, and to
submit a proposal, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2002/create/e_sess

EXHIBITION AND SPONSORSHIP
If you are interested in exhibiting or sponsoring the convention,
contact Andrew Calvo at 707-827-7176, or andrewc at oreilly.com.

WORDS ABOUT THE 2001 O'REILLY OPEN SOURCE CONVENTION
"It's a rare thing to attend a computing conference where something
actually happens--here, instead of people waxing profound on the
possibilities of this technology or that (in between coffee breaks),
you get a surprise announcement that's certain to shake up the world as
we know it. But there's a sense here this week that this
conference--the O'Reilly Open Source Convention--might be one of those
that amounts to something: Minds will be changed. People will see the
light. The world will be better after this."
--Farhad Manjoo, Wired, July 25, 2001

"O'Reilly's Open Source Conference (OSCON) is easily the most
interesting technical event I attend every year. Each day at the
conference I get the chance to talk with brilliant, passionate people
who have done amazing work. I doubt that in the course of my life I
will ever be in a place where the average IQ or level of dedication is
any higher."--WebMonkey, August 2, 2001

Miss last year's Convention? (Craig Mundie's Shared Source presentation
was a doozy!) Check out more press coverage of the 2001 event:
http://www.oreillynet.com/oscon2001/

For information on the O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology Conference
(January 2002 in Tucson, AZ) and the O'Reilly Emerging Technology
Conference (May 2002 in Santa Clara, CA), visit:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/

Click over regularly to the O'Reilly Network's Open Source DevCenter
central if you're hungry for more open source news:
http://www.onlamp.com/

About O'Reilly
O'Reilly & Associates is the premier information source for
leading-edge computer technologies. We communicate the knowledge of
experts through our books, conferences, and web sites. Our books, known
for their animals on the covers, occupy a treasured place on the
shelves of the developers building the next generation of software. Our
conferences and summits bring innovators together to shape the
revolutionary ideas that spark new industries. From the Internet to the
Web, Linux, open source, peer-to-peer networking, and now
bioinformatics, we put technologies on the map. For more information:
http://www.oreilly.com

# # #

O'Reilly is a registered trademark of O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. All
other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org

with "unsubscribe freebsd-announce" in the body of the message