FreeBSD Real Quick Newsletter

Chris Coleman chrisc at vmunix.com
Fri Sep 22 22:38:50 PDT 2000

		 FreeBSD Real-Quick(TM) News Letter.
		    Things Happening in FreeBSD.
	      	      Presented by Daemon News

Bayonne Milestone #5 released
September 16, 2000

Milestone #5 of Bayonne, the telephony server of the GNU project, has been
released and is available for fro ftp://www.voxilla.org/pub/bayonne. This
new milestone offers support for both GNU/Linux and FreeBSD systems.
Pre-build FreeBSD binaries may be found at
ftp://www.voxilla.org/pub/bayonne/freebsd.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1190

So you like FreeBSD?
September 13, 2000

Just a little advocacy promotion piece I wrote tonight. It's important for
people to realise that contributing to a project does not mean you have to
be a coder, web guru, or ports hack. Anyone can make a difference. And it's
easy, simple, doesn't cost you a cent.

Bonus: you can do it in the privacy of your own home.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1186

FreeBSD Installation and Package Tools
September 12, 2000

Jordan Hubbard wrote a draft describing the possible direction of FreeBSD's
installation and package tools. From the abstract: This document discusses
FreeBSD's installation, configuration and package management tools from the
perspective of where they are and where I think they need to go.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1185

BSD Mall Upgrade

Daemon News has upgraded the BSD Mall to the latest version of phpShop.
We are now geared up to ship BSD products internationally. We have
started to add books and BSD supported hardware.

If you know of good BSD supported hardware that we should have listed,
please tell us about it. We need your help to grow the BSD channel.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/add_comment.php3?story_id=1205

Long-Term Monitoring with SNMP

Michael Lucas, in his column Big Scary Daemons, shows us how to use
mrtg to turn long-term SNMP statistics into easy-to-read web pages.
It will even chart bar graphs.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1203

Understanding Shell Prompts
September 19, 2000

Looking to change your default shell prompt? Dru Lavigne helps us
understand the four major shells and how to change their prompts. Her
column, FreeBSD Basics, at the O'Reilly Network is geared towards new
users and often contains information relevant to all BSD.

To help supplement this article, the BSD Support Forum is collecting user
contributed shell prompts. Dru will be compiling a list from that.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1196

New BSD products at Think Geek
September 15, 2000

I've already enjoyed some of Think Geeks products. Most people still can't
figure out what my perl tshirt is supposed to say :-)

Think Geek has now added two more BSD products to their catalog. There's a
BSD mug and a BSD Grand Pilsner, which is also available as a two pack.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1188

BSD Businesses Recieving More Funds
September 15, 2000

Two BSD based companies have recently received some additional funding.
BSDi is getting $5 million from the Japan based ISP Livin' on the Edge, Ltd
(LOTE). The recently launched Wasabi Systems has closed it's first round of
financing raising over $500,000.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1187

802.11 at BSDcon
September 11, 2000

For those of you with Orinocco (nee' WaveLan) cards, I plan on bringing
an Airport to BSDcon, and (so long as they will let me) hooking it up
to the terminal room LAN, like at the last Usenix conference. So, don't
leave it at home!

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1182

Chris Coleman  <chrisc at vmunix.com>

Daemon News			 O'Reilly Networks -- Open Source Editor
http://www.daemonnews.org	 http://www.oreillynet.com/

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org

with "unsubscribe freebsd-announce" in the body of the message