FreeBSD Real Quick Newsletter

Chris Coleman chrisc at vmunix.com
Mon May 22 22:27:02 PDT 2000

		 FreeBSD Real-Quick(TM) News Letter.
		    Things Happening in FreeBSD.
	      	      Presented by Daemon News

BSDCon 2000
May 12, 2000

We are pleased to announce BSDCon 2000, the second annual BSD Conference
and Expo! If you are a BSD user, this is the event you don't want to miss.
There will be BSD-related tutorials, talks, demos, discussions, and
exhibitor booths.

Many BSD users and developers from all over the world will be present to
share ideas, find common interest points, and develop new ideas--as a
single community. All BSD users are welcome and encouraged to attend and
participate.

Pricing information is as follows:

Conference (Oct. 18-20): $495 Tutorial 1 (Oct. 14-15): $495 Tutorial 2
(Oct. 16-17): $495 Room rates at the Hyatt: $129 US per night

There is a $50 early-bird discount off each if you register before
September 1, 2000. Any registrations after September 1, 2000 will be
charged full price.

Hope to see you there!

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=906
LINK: http://www.bsdcon.com/

The Slashdot DDOS: What happened?
May 17, 2000

Slashdot posted a brief description of what happened during a DDOS attack
against them last week.
Nice to see FreeBSD come to the rescue.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=923
LINK: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/05/17/1318233&mode=thread

ICS Unveils First Distribution of Open Motif
May 16, 2000

Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. (ICS), the leading commercial supplier
of Motif products and support, announced the immediate availability of
Open Motif Everywhere, the first distribution of Open Motif for open
systems. This announcement occurs concurrently with the announcement by The
Open Group(TM) that it is making Open Motif, the industry standard toolkit
for user interfaces on UNIX systems, freely available for open source
operating systems such as Linux and FreeBSD.
Open Motif Everywhere has been tested on the following distributions: Corel
(Intel), FreeBSD (Intel), Linux PPC 2000 (PPC), Mandrake (Intel), Red Hat
(Intel, Sparc, Alpha), Slackware (Intel), Storm 2000 (Intel), SuSE (Intel),
and TurboLinux (Intel).

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=922
LINK: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/000515/ma_integra_2.html

Open Source 3d Game engine.
May 16, 2000

Why should windows users have all the good games?
Crystal Space is an open-source 3D game engine. Any good games for BSD on
the horizon?

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=920
LINK: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/05/16/crystal3d.html

Source Wars Goes Hi-Res!
May 03, 2000

Source Wars has always been drawn in Millions of Colors, and when we  put it
on the web, we have rendered it into 256 colors to keep
the file  size down.  Almost the entire time, we have been keeping
high-res .png files in hopes  of making the high res version available.
I have finally written the code  necessary, and uploaded all the .png
files.

So, if you don't mind the wait, or have high speed internet,
take a look  at Source Wars as it was really meant to be seen.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=883
LINK: http://darby.daemonnews.org/episode.php3?ShowWeek=1&Res=HIGH

FreeBSD Committers pass the 200 mark!
May 16, 2000

There are now more than 200 members of the FreeBSD Committers team. Follow
the link for the full scoop on the latest additions.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=919
LINK: http://people.freebsd.org/~wes/committers.html

Install FreeBSD 4.0 in seven easy steps
May 16, 2000

This is actually the start of a regular series of articles focusing on
FreeBSD.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=914
LINK: http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml?id=r00220000516eje01.htm

Newbies Corner:

What to do after you have installed FreeBSD for the first time.  Several
things they usually leave out of the documentation.

MORE: http://www.daemonnews.org/200005/newbies.html

Chris Coleman  <chrisc at vmunix.com>

Daemon News			 Oreilly Networks -- Open Source Editor
http://www.daemonnews.org	 http://www.oreilynet.com

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org

with "unsubscribe freebsd-announce" in the body of the message