FreeBSD Real-Quick Newsletter

Chris Coleman chrisc at vmunix.com
Tue Jun 20 10:29:04 PDT 2000

		 FreeBSD Real-Quick(TM) News Letter.
		    Things Happening in FreeBSD.
	      	      Presented by Daemon News

Native FreeBSD Opera Port?
June 08, 2000

We may be seeing a native port of the Opera web browser for FreeBSD
shortly. From Opera's Linux FAQ:

"We've attempted to start releasing a FreeBSD version as of this
release, however, we're experiencing complications with the compile
environment as well. GCC is working wonderfully, however the ld is
generating some interesting errors related to templates which aren't
quite understandable. We'll hopefully have a functional version at
the next release. For now, we understand that Opera for Linux works
well under Linux emulation on the BSD platforms."

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=975

LINK: http://www.opera.com/linux/index.html#faq

How to Implement a Firewall with a PPP Dialup Connection
June 08, 2000

A new article is available, explaining how to use PPP, natd, and ipfw
to implement a firewall with a PPP dialup connection.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=970
LINK: http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=969
LINK: http://www.freebsd.org/conspectus/index.html

Java 2 available now for BSD/OS 4.1; Java 2 for FreeBSD to Follow
June 07, 2000

Here is some good news for the folks who have been pushing for better
Java  support for BSD. It appears that Java
2 is now available for the BSDi  Internet Super Server and BSD/OS,
with a FreeBSD version in the works. See  the link below for the
complete press release on the BSDi site.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=968
LINK: http://www.bsdi.com/news/press/20000607

Newbies: An Introduction to BSD Ports
by James Howard

Find out the basics on using ports and what they're made of in this
month's Newbies column.

LINK: http://www.daemonnews.org/200006/ports.html

Blueprints: Writing a CAM SCSI controller driver
by Sergey Babkin

This month's Blueprint gives an in-depth tutorial on SCSI driver
creation.

LINK: http://www.daemonnews.org/200006/cam-driver.htm

State of the Daemon
June 12, 2000

A fairly straightforward BSD article... what BSD is, where it is, and
where it's going.

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=980
LINK: http://www.unixreview.com/open_source/articles/0006bsd.shtml

Chris Coleman  <chrisc at vmunix.com>

Daemon News			 O'Reilly Networks -- Open Source Editor
http://www.daemonnews.org	 http://www.oreillynet.com/

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org

with "unsubscribe freebsd-announce" in the body of the message