Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at zippy.cdrom.com
Thu Feb 3 01:18:50 PST 2000

Hi all,

Our primary mail server, using the special type of evil ESP abilities
which all critical hardware items possess, took advantage of everyone
(including our postmaster) being away at LinuxWorld in New York to
exhibit the "F" in "MTBF" with respect to hard drive specifications.
We have mail services running again on a backup system but it will
take a little while longer until all other mail-related services (like
web search) are restored.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have this problem fixed
shortly.  A situation almost exactly like this (disk hardware failure)
occurred with freefall during FreeBSDCon '99, incidently, and with
this second incident we've certainly gotten the message: All critical
freebsd.org assets will use (hardware) RAID arrays for storage in the
future and we'll begin implementing that just as soon as we return.

Regards,

- Jordan

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org

with "unsubscribe freebsd-announce" in the body of the message