FreeBSD Real Quick News Letter.

Chris Coleman chrisc at vmunix.com
Tue Nov 2 08:20:13 PST 1999

The latest DaemonNews newsletter has so much that is FreeBSD related, I am
sending it in place of the Real Quick Newsletter.

-Chris
This is the official DaemonNews newsletter. It contains the last 10=20
selected articles that appeared on the daily news site. It was sent out on=
=20
Tuesday, November 02, 1999.=20

Ricoh Embeds FreeBSD into Copiers
November 02, 1999

I found this out today by way of a software company that=20
produced a tool for the Ricoh copiers. It looks like=20
they're using FreeBSD 2.2.6.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D192
LINK: http://www.ricoh.com
CNN frontpage reports:                         FreeBSDCon'99: Fans of Linux=
's lesser-known                        sibling gather for the first time=20
November 02, 1999

IDG's article covering FreeBSDCon makes CNN's=20
front page, and seems well written and very=20
positive.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D191
LINK: http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9911/01/freebsd.con99.idg/index.htm=
UNIX VS NT
November 02, 1999

Quite well known in Linux world, but as valuable for=20
the BSD's crowd ... the site runs on FreeBSD=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D190
LINK: http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/
128bit strong browser
November 02, 1999

Spice up that Netscape Navigator/Communicator ...=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D189
LINK: http://www.fortify.net/versions_main.html
Amanda Backup Tool vulnerabilities
November 02, 1999

Amanda vulnerable to attacks. Amanda is a popular file backup system used=
=20
by several free UNIX distributions.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D188
LINK: http://securityfocus.com/level2/bottom.html?go=3Dvulnerabilities&id=
=3D752
Buddying up to BSD
November 01, 1999

What happens when Linux' Penguin meets Darby Daemon ...=20
To be continued ...=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D187
LINK: http://www.linux.com/featured_articles/19991101/195/
Boardwatch Series on Freenixes
November 01, 1999

Jeffrey Carl of Boardwatch Magazine has been running a series of articles=
=20
on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD in his "Unix Flavor Country" column.=
=20
I just received my November issue in the mail, which has an interesting=20
comparative review of the four from an ISP's standpoint. (BSD/OS receives=
=20
short mention because it is a commercial product.) The October article was=
=20
a short lesson in Freenix history. October's issue is already on the=20
Web--hopefully Boardwatch will post November's soon.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D186
LINK: http://boardwatch.internet.com
Boardwatch Series on Freenixes
November 01, 1999

Jeffrey Carl of Boardwatch Magazine has been running a series of articles=
=20
on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD in his "Unix Flavor Country" column.=
=20
I just received my November issue in the mail, which has an interesting=20
comparative review of the four from an ISP's standpoint. (BSD/OS receives=
=20
short mention because it is a commercial product.) The October article was=
=20
a short lesson in Freenix history. October's issue is already on the=20
Web--hopefully Boardwatch will post November's soon.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D186
LINK: http://boardwatch.internet.com
November issues of D=E6mon News is up!
November 01, 1999

The November issue of D=E6mon News is available=20
at the usual web sites. The articles this month=20
include ``Setting Up a FreeBSD Lab'' by Oscar=20
Bonilla and ``It's not just for breakfast anymore,''=20
a report by Gary Kline on vendors shipping BSD and=20
Linux as their default operating systems. All this,=20
plus your usual monthly dose of <I>Newbies Corner,=20
Adventures in BSD, Answerman,</I> and <I>D=E6mon's=20
Advocate</I>, and the ongoing adventures of <I>Darby=20
D=E6mon</I>.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D185
LINK: http://www.daemonnews.org/
FreeBSDCon 99
November 02, 1999

We have already posted the fact that Linux World ran an article on=20
FreeBSDCon.=20
Now they have added links to both the <a=20
href=3Dwww.daemonnews.org>Monthly</a> and <a=20
href=3Ddaily.daemonnews.org>Daily</a>=20
Daemon News sites.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D184
LINK: http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-10/lw-10-bsd.html#resour=
ces
GnatBox
November 01, 1999

Pico/Free BSD commercial sibling ...=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D183
LINK: http://www.gnatbox.com
Creative Labs going Open Source
October 30, 1999

Creative Labs have decided to embrace the open source philosophy for their=
=20
Sound Blaster Live drivers.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D182
LINK: http://www.ga-source.com/all/news/bits/09+29+1999/15:09:37.shml
OpenBSD Diary
October 29, 1999

"The OpenBSD Diary" spills it guts ... well, lays out its internal network=
=20
=2E..=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D181
LINK: http://www.deadly.org
NetBSD integrates DVD audio/video support
October 29, 1999

Charles Hannum has commited some code to NetBSD=20
to emulate the Linux DVD ioctl(2)s, both for=20
native NetBSD code and for Linux executables.=20
With these changes, NetBSD can run the Linux=20
builds of the=20
<A HREF=3D"http://livid.on.openprojects.net/">LiViD=20
DVD toolset</A>, and the CSS tools can be built=20
natively.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D180
LINK: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/1999/10/29/0010.html
FreeBSDCon 99
October 29, 1999

LinuxWorld has a nice review of FreeBSDCon '99.=20
The author writes about her experiences at the con=20
and briefly discusses the highlights. She also says=20
she really enjoyed it. Good stuff.=20

MORE: http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D179
LINK: http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-10/lw-10-bsd.html