2.2-GAMMA is released.

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at time.cdrom.com
Wed Feb 5 09:11:32 PST 1997

The final pre-release version of FreeBSD 2.2 is now available from:

	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2-GAMMA

This release, modulo any final bug fixes, is what will be released as
FreeBSD 2.2R at the end of February, the length of this GAMMA testing
cycle being approximately 20 days.

As the README.TXT file in this release indicates, I've also decided
to try something a little different for this GAMMA test cycle.  Our more
sharp-eyed observers will notice that 2.2-GAMMA is actually a symbolic
link pointing to 2.2-970205-GAMMA on ftp.freebsd.org.  This was copied
today from ftp://22gamma.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD, an FTP server which
automatically generates a completely new release of 2.2 from the
2.2-branch (RELENG_2_2) code each day.  When a release build is
successful, it is moved into the FTP area on that machine (REPLACING
the old, so be careful about installing directly from this machine
around 0500 hours, PST :-).

This will hopefully help to prevent the usual problems where new
testers trip over bugs already reported and report them again, or
someone breaks things unexpectedly while making repairs and we don't
find out until the last moment.

Another trick was figuring out how to do this in a way that didn't
cause the many mirrors of ftp.freebsd.org to melt down under the
strain, and it was finally decided that I should only update the
ftp.freebsd.org bits once or twice during GAMMA and simply advertise
ftp://22gamma.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD as the place to get the most
recent version.  This makes life a little hard on our international
users, I do realize, and I'd welcome announcements or contact from
other sites indicating their willingness to mirror the "GAMMA SNAPS"
on other public FTP sites.  Some reasonable number (where
"reasonable" == "does not melt 22gamma.freebsd.org") would be a nice
thing to have.

As usual:

Bug reports via:

	send-pr(1)