FreeBSD 2.2 branch created.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at freefall.freebsd.org
Fri Nov 1 15:59:11 PST 1996

The highly honoured CVS wizard Mr Peter Wemm has dutifully swung his
"staff of various CVS tricks" and created the "RELENG_2_2" branch.

This will ultimately lead to the release of "FreeBSD 2.2" in December
or January.

Release engineering will be the joint task of Jordan and Poul-Henning.

FreeBSD 2.2 is basically what is in -current today, plus fixes for
those significant problems we may find between now and the release.

I expect the ALPHA snapshot will be released in about 10 days, and
>if< it is deemed necessary, a BETA snapshot may be produced, this
will be decided in due time.  If you can find the time to test a
snapshot for us, by all means please do so, and don't be shy to
report all problems you notice on the way.

A couple of new features are being considered for inclusion in 2.2
which are not in -current at this time, these will be committed to
-current (ie: the HEAD branch) by the respective parties for testing
so we can decide in their suitability for inclusion in the 2.2 release.

I would like to stress the following:  It has not, and will not, at
this time be decided if there will ever be another release on this
branch (ie: 2.2.5 or similar)  This will be decided no earlier than
spring '97 some time, and pestering anybody about it now in the
mailing lists is at best counter-productive, at worst will have the
opposite effect.  If you decide that you would like to see a 2.2.5
release down the road, the operative word is "contribution".

A 2.1.6 release is also under consideration right now, a separate
announcement will be issued when a decision has been made.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp
The FreeBSD Core team