Laptop Survey Project / FreeBSD

HOSOKAWA Tatsumi hosokawa at mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Wed Apr 3 15:06:47 PST 1996

[Please note that the "Reply-To:" field of this mail is my e-mail
 address only]

Hi!

I'm the maintainer of PC-card package for FreeBSD(the latest release
is pccard-test-960328).

I want to start "Laptop Survey" project on FreeBSD.  Linux has the
same survey for long, and I think it is very useful.

If you're using FreeBSD on laptop machines, please fill in the form
given below and send it to me (Reply-To: hosokawa at mt.cs.keio.ac.jp).
I wrote two samples corresponding to my two laptop machines (Digital
Hinote and Digital Hinote Ultra).  I will publish the result on the
Web pages, and incorporate it into our PC-card package.

(If you're interested in PC-card (PCMCIA) driver for FreeBSD, detailed
 information can be found at,
	http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa/freebsd-pcmcia/
 If you install this package, please send me the report about it)

Thanks.

hosokawa

<LTS>
<NAME> (requisite) Your Name</NAME>
<ADDR> E-mail address (do not fill it if you don't want to publish it) </ADDR>
<MCN> (requisite) product name of your machine </MCN>
<CPU> (requisite) CPU type </CPU>
<RAM> (requisite) Amount of main memory </RAM>
<HDD> (requisite) Amount of hard disk </HDD>
<BIOS> Version number of BIOS </BIOS>
<FBSD> (requisite) Can you installed FreeBSD on this machine?</FBSD>
    (Ex.: No problem -> OK, Can't install FreeBSD at all -> NG, Special
          technique or tips are required -> the abstract of your tips)
<FBSDV> Version number of FreeBSD </FBSDV>
<PCCV> Version number of pccard-test package (if you're using it) </PCCV>
<APM> Does APM BIOS driver of FreeBSD works? </APM>
    (Ex.: No problem -> OK, "options FORCE_APM10" was required ->
          FORCE_APM10, Can't drive APM at all -> NG)
<APMV> Version number of APM BIOS </APMV>
<CONFIG> Machine-depend "options" in config file </CONFIG>
<PCIC> Type of PC-card controller </PCIC>
<CRD> PC-card (PCMCIA) that worked
        <CONF>
        Corresponding entry of /etc/pccard.conf
        </CONF>
</CRD>
    (You can drive the card with default pccard.conf, no <CONF> field
     is required)
<CRD>.......</CRD>..... repeats...
<NGCRD>
    The Cards that you can't drive, even though README's and pccard.conf
    says that it works.
</NGCRD>
<NGCRD>.......</NGCRD>..... repeats...
<MISC> Additional information </MISC>
</LTS>

(example 1)
<LTS>
<NAME> Tatsumi Hosokawa </NAME>
<ADDR> hosokawa at mt.cs.keio.ac.jp </ADDR>
<MCN> DEC Ditital Hinote CS433 </MCN>
<CPU> i486SX 33MHz </CPU>
<RAM> 20MB </RAM>
<HDD> 260MB </HDD>
<FBSD> OK </FBSD>
<FBSDV> 2.2-960303-SNAP </FBSDV>
<PCCV> 960318 </PCCV>
<APM> COMPAT_APM10 </APM>
<APMV> 1.1 </APMV>
<CONFIG> LAPTOP, HINOTE </CONFIG>
<PCIC> Cirrus Logic PD-672x </PCIC>
<CRD> IBM PCMCIA Creditcard Ethernet II </CRD>
<CRD> 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA 3C589B </CRD>
<CRD> Megahertz X-Jack XJ2144 FAX/Modem</CRD>
<CRD> Adaptec SlimSCSI APA-1460 </CRD>
<CRD> Epson Flash Packer 20MB </CRD>
<NGCRD> RATOC REX-5535AM </NGCRD>
<MISC>
RATOC REX5535 does not work, but I have no idea.  APM driver works
without COMPAT_APM10, but it seems rather unstable.
</MISC>
</LTS>

(example 2)
<LTS>
<NAME> Tatsumi Hosokawa </NAME>
<ADR> hosokawa at mt.cs.keio.ac.jp </ADR>
<MCN> DEC Ditital Hinote Ultra CS433 </MCN>
<CPU> i486SX 33MHz </CPU>
<RAM> 20MB </RAM>
<HDD> 810MB </HDD>
<BIOS> 1.41 </BIOS>
<FBSD> OK </FBSD>
<FBSDV> 2.2-960321-SNAP </FBSDV>
<PCCV> 960328 </PCCV>
<APM> OK </APM>
<APMV> 1.1 </APMV>
<CONFIG> LAPTOP </CONFIG>
<PCIC> Cirrus Logic PD-6710 </PCIC>
<CRD> IBM PCMCIA Creditcard Ethernet I </CRD>
<CRD> IBM PCMCIA Creditcard Ethernet II </CRD>
<CRD> 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA 3C589B </CRD>
<CRD> Megahertz X-Jack Ethernet </CRD>
<CRD> Megahertz X-Jack XJ2144 FAX/Modem
      <CONF>
card "MEGAHERTZ" "XJ([12]144|[23]288)(-[0-9]+)?"
        config  0x23 "sio2" 16	# IRQ 16 (PIO)
        insert  echo Megahertz X-jack FAX/Modem inserted
        remove  echo Megahertz X-jack FAX/Modem removed
      </CONF>
</CRD>
<CRD> Megahertz X-Jack XJ2288 FAX/Modem
      <CONF>
card "MEGAHERTZ" "XJ([12]144|[23]288)(-[0-9]+)?"
        config  0x23 "sio2" 16  # IRQ 16 (PIO)
        insert  echo Megahertz X-jack FAX/Modem inserted
        remove  echo Megahertz X-jack FAX/Modem removed
      </CONF>
</CRD>
<CRD> Adaptec SlimSCSI APA-1460 </CRD>
<CRD> Epson Flash Packer 20MB </CRD>
<NGCRD> RATOC REX-5535AM </NGCRD>
<MISC>
To use modem card, setting IRQ to 16 (PIO hack) is required.  REX-5535
does not work, but I have no idea.  No machine-depend "options" are
required except "LAPTOP".
</MISC>
</LTS>
	HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi              E-mail: hosokawa at mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
	  WWW homepage: http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa.html
	Department of Computer Science, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan