New ports now available for testing

Satoshi Asami |浅見 賢 asami at CS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue May 16 04:17:39 PDT 1995

We are currently running a full build of the ports tree.  The packages
are copied to

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages/

as they are built.  As these will go into the 2.0.5 release, we'd like
to have them tested as much as possible.  So please try them out and
send in reports if you encounter any bugs.  If you are IP connected,
"send-pr" would be great, otherwise mail to the ports list will do.

Note that for many of the things to work, you will need to be running
a fairly recent -current (like from the last couple days or so).  If
you are running 2.0R or an older -current and can't do a full upgrade
at this time, I made a "quick upgrade kit" that is available from

ftp://forgery.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/FreeBSD/ports/

Please make sure you read the two READMEs in the directory carefully.
I make no guarantees for the contents of this kit (it's basically the
things I *think* has changed since 2.0R, taken from my very current
machine).  In particular, if it screws up your shared library, sorry
about that. :)

Also available from the same directory are the tarballs of each of the
subdirectories of the ports tree.  They are checked out right after
the ports code freeze (12:01 AM Sun 5/14 PDT), and will be available
from that machine for a few more days to take the load off wcarchive.

However, this is my research machine deep in the university network so
please be gentle for access during peak hours (10AM - 8PM PDT). :)

It's primarily intended for people who want the whole tree quick.
Note that some ports have changed since the freeze, so if there is
something wrong, make sure you get the most recent version of that
paticular port from ftp.freebsd.org first.

Okay, thanks and happy testing!

Satoshi and the rest of the awesome ports team