CAN WE GET BACK TO TECHNICAL ISSUES!

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at time.cdrom.com
Thu May 4 13:58:23 PDT 1995

> The babble on -hackers is driving me nuts, this is suppose to be
> a technical mailling list.  Please keep descussions to that.  We
> loose enough people due to the volume already without all this
> babble on the list.

Ah Rod, you're such a sourpuss! :-)

No, seriously, I think Rod's right about this and I've finally elected
to do something about this (depite my reservations about the increased
mail load on freefall - better there than here).

There is a new mailing list now called freebsd-chat (or simply `chat').
You may subscribe to it by sending a `subscribe' request to
majordomo at freebsd.org, just like the other lists.  I am somewhat
of two minds about archiving it, but will do so for the time being
unless it looks like it's going to be little more than megabytes
of spew which nobody ever looks at again.

The charter of the list is pretty much open.  If you want to send out
humourous articles about what happened to you the last time you ran
Linux, fine.  If you want to chat about your love life and how FreeBSD
has ruined it, fine (that should be good for a couple of megabytes
of traffic alone! :-).

But PLEASE, don't discuss it in -hackers.  Hackers has most certainly
become a cesspit of misplaced questions, silly cross-postings
(I've seen -current, -bugs and -hackers in one posting more times than
I can count) and general chit-chat.  I hope that this new list will
go some way towards alleviating the strain.

I also recommend a new and somewhat draconian policy of NOT ANSWERING
misplaced questions, inappropriately cross-posted articles or obviously
inappropriate material posted to -hackers.  If this were done religiously,
it would cut down on traffic significantly.

Please follow up to -chat.  This is NOT a technical discussion!

						Jordan