FreeBSD 11.1 installation fails on AMD based board

Rajesh Kumar rajfbsd at gmail.com
Wed May 23 19:51:05 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am trying to install FreeBSD 11.1 on AMD EPYC based board with 128GB of
memory and 500GB of HDD.  But installation fails and system panics during
PCI bus enumeration.  Most of the time system reboots, but sometimes system
just hangs.

Seems like the PCI config from the root is not proper, so when the PCI
devices in the hierarchy are attached, system runs into trouble.  I tried
setting PCI tunables for the driver to ignore firmware setting and
configure from scratch. But it doesn't help.

Also, tried disabling acpi (hw.acpi.0.disabled=1).  But system panics with
message "running without  a device atpic requires a local APIC"

I have posted this issue on FreeBSD forum as well.
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-11-1-installation-fails-and-rebooting.65814/

Let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks,
Rajesh.