i386 4/4 change

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 31 23:06:02 UTC 2018

On 31 Mar 2018, at 17:57, Bruce Evans <brde at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>
>> the change to provide full 4G of address space for both kernel and
>> user on i386 is ready to land.  The motivation for the work was to both
>> mitigate Meltdown on i386, and to give more breazing space for still
>> used 32bit architecture.  The patch was tested by Peter Holm, and I am
>> satisfied with the code.
>>
>> If you use i386 with HEAD, I recommend you to apply the patch from
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D14633
>> and report any regressions before the commit, not after.  Unless
>> a significant issue is reported, I plan to commit the change somewhere
>> at Wed/Thu next week.
>>
>> Also I welcome patch comments and reviews.
>
> It crashes at boot time in getmemsize() unless booted with loader which
> I don't want to use.

For me, it at least compiles and boots OK, but I'm one of those crazy
people who use the default boot loader. ;)

I haven't yet run any performance tests, I'll try building world and a
few large ports tomorrow.  General operation from the command line does
not feel "sluggish" in any way, however.

-Dimitry