FreeBSD on Ryzen

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 22 23:26:15 UTC 2017

On 23 Mar, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> On 03/22/2017 22:30, Don Lewis wrote:

>> I've got ECC RAM, but unfortunately the motherboard I'm using doesn't
>> enable ECC.
>
> Are you absolutely sure of that?

Yes.  The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming.  On the motherboard
specification page it specifically says:
  Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in
  non-ECC mode)
and there are no knobs in the BIOS to enable ECC.  I was hoping to get
lucky though because the memory support list has an entry for the RAM
that I purchased with a checkmark in the ECC column. I've got some older
Gigabyte AM2 - AM3+ boards that support ECC even though it is not
mentioned anywhere in the spec.

I have heard rumors that some other motherboards silently support ECC if
they detect it even though they don't have any mention of it in their
BIOS configuration screens.  To check this I installed the latest
version of Fedora rawhide and there was no indication of ECC support in
the boot messages, edac-utils didn't find it, and dmidecode said that
the memory was 64 bits wide and not 72.

> Could you please share dmesg from a verbose boot?
> At least the portion where CPUs and topology are described.
> Thanks!

Yeah, I can send that later when I have a chance to reboot the box.