GELI BIOS weirdness

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 13 20:36:41 UTC 2017

On 13 Feb 2017, at 21:24, Eric McCorkle <eric at metricspace.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I ran into an apparent bug while trying to test a patch related to some
> GELI boot work.  This particular patch involves *BIOS* GELI-on-root (not
> EFI).
>
> I created an image for qemu with a single gpt disk having a freebsd-boot
> and freebsd-ufs partition, with the freebsd-ufs partition actually
> having a GELI volume.
>
> The gptboot phase crashes with an illegal instruction.  I tracked this
> down to eli_metadata_softc (defined in sys/geom/eli/g_eli.h),
> specifically to the mod operation near the end.  Code here:
>
>> if (!(sc->sc_flags & G_ELI_FLAG_AUTH))
>>        sc->sc_mediasize -= (sc->sc_mediasize % sc->sc_sectorsize);
>> else {
>
> This crash also occurs on a build from master.
>
> The crash dump shows eip pointing to the following code:
>
> 66 0f 38 f6 f0 31 c6 8b - 4d 14 89 cf c1 ff 1f 8b
>
> The the first 5 bytes of this looks like it's supposed to be an extended
> DIV instruction, which is what I would expect, except the opcode is
> wrong (it's adc instead), which doesn't end up corresponding to any
> valid form of an extended instruction (the 66 prefix).  Examination of
> the disassembly confirms this, and the surrounding instructions match
> what you would expect from the C code.

This disassembles to:

   0:   66 0f 38 f6 f0          adcx   %eax,%esi
   5:   31 c6                   xor    %eax,%esi
   7:   8b 4d 14                mov    0x14(%ebp),%ecx
   a:   89 cf                   mov    %ecx,%edi
   c:   c1 ff 1f                sar    $0x1f,%edi
   f:   8b                      .byte 0x8b

My first guess would be that the code simply jumped into garbage.  But
can you post the complete .o file somewhere for inspection?

-Dimitry