amd64/185623: [install] freebsd 10.0-RC5 fresh install does not boot on asus h87m-e

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 28 17:35:19 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:40:01 pm Ryan Stark wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR amd64/185623; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Ryan Stark <rstark at rackspace.com>
> To: <bug-followup at FreeBSD.org>, <nospam at morphium.org>
> Subject: Re: amd64/185623: [install] freebsd 10.0-RC5 fresh install does not
>  boot on asus h87m-e
> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:34:56 -0600

>  Hello,
>
>  Seems with a little homework, I was able to boot my new 10.0-RELEASE OS. =)
>

>  After install, but before reboot, run: gpart set -a active ada0
>
>  It appears that other asus users of H85 & H87 motherboards are
>  experiencing the same issue.

Hmm, the installer for FreeBSD/{amd64,i386} is supposed to do this
automatically.  We used to set this in the PMBR by default for all GPT setups,
but that isn't really correct for the GPT standard and needs to not be present
when using EFI.  The solution was supposed to be that we would stop setting it
in the PMBR by default and change the installer to set this bit when doing a
non-EFI GPT install on x86.  I think the first part of that (not setting
active by default) happened in 10, but not the second part (fix the installer
for non-EFI GPT installs on x86).  I've cc'd some folks who've worked on
bsdinstall who can hopefully get this fixed.

--
John Baldwin