amd64/186051: FreeBSD 8.4+, 9.x+, 10.0 guest panic with VMWare Server on boot

Steven Spence freebsd at stratum16.com
Thu Jan 23 21:20:00 UTC 2014

>Number:         186051
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 8.4+, 9.x+, 10.0 guest panic with VMWare Server on boot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I posted to the forums about this about 6 months ago but nobody ever responded:

https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=40223

With the arrival of 10.0 I decided to try it again with the same results.  I am using VMWare Server 1.0.10 that is installed on a AMD64 CentOS 5.9 box.  I have a few 8.3 installs of FreeBSD running fine on it but any attempts to move to newer versions have resulted in a kernel panic on boot.  If I move from 8.3 to 8.4 (via a rebuild of kernel/world) it occurs so it appears something changed between those two versions that is causing it.  So far every newer version than 8.3 has resulted in the same panic.  To remove any possibility of me maybe having messed up building the kernel or the world I downloaded a 9.2 and 10.0 install CD but the results are the same, a kernel panic on boot.  The kernel panic is always similar (usually different addresses).

I know VMWare Server is someone antiquated but the virtual hardware has not changed and it does work on FreeBSD <8.3 as I have upgraded from older versions in the past with it.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install VMWare Server 1.0.10 on an AMD64 CentOS 5.9 (not sure if the arch/OS is relevant) machine and try to install a newer FreeBSD (>8.3).