amd64/186061: FreeBSD 10 crashes as KVM guest on GNU/Linux on AMD family 10h CPUs

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Feb 13 08:38:02 UTC 2014

>> GNU/Linux

>> > Talking with Alan Cox, we do think the right fix is to change the test
>> > enable the workaround.  However, we'd rather not penalize VM's on
>> other
>>
>> I'm afraid that will not work in all situations, no matter how good the
>> tests are (see below why I think so). So as a last resort, I suggest
>> that
>> it should be possible to enable the "AMD Erratum 383" workaround via
>> loader.conf.
>
> I think you misunderstand.  We would only use flags that are never set
> on an AMD 10h CPU, so they can never be set in a KVM guest that would
> ever migrate to an AMD 10h CPU.  If those flags are present, we know that
> we would _not_ need the workaround.  If none of those flags are present,
> we would enable the workaround.  Does that make sense?

OK, I think I understand now. Unfortunately I don't know enough about CPU
flags to know how well this could work. If I understand correctly, KVM can
also emulate some CPU features which are not implemented in the real CPU.
If that's true then it becomes quite complicated I guess.

What about having a sysctl flag so that the workaround can be enabled
manually? Wouldn't that make sense for cases where auto detection doesn't
work well.

Regards,
Simon