Cannot type anything with my keyboard in GNOME Desktop Environment

Teo En Ming teo.en.ming at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 17:29:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have just installed FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64 as a virtual machine/guest
operating system under Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.3.10. My host operating
system is Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I have just installed X server, gnome, and gdm with the following commands:

# pkg install xorg

# pkg install gnome2

# pkg install nano

# nano /etc/fstab

======================================

proc           /proc       procfs  rw  0   0

# nano /etc/rc.conf

=======================================

gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"

The following command is to allow startx to be executed.

*# echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc*

*To allow regular user to su to root,**# pw groupmod wheel -m teo-en-ming*

I can still type in my password on the gdm login prompt. But after
logging into the GNOME Desktop Environment, I cannot type anything
with my keyboard! No characters appear on the screen. I can only use
my mouse. I tried to reboot but every time the system boots into gdm.
I also tried to enter Single User Mode, but I can't modify
/etc/rc.conf as the root filesystem is mounted read only. What can I
do?

I am looking forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Teo En Ming