[CFT] gcc: support for barcelona

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu May 30 17:03:25 UTC 2013

On May 30, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> On 29.05.2013 11:06, Warner Losh wrote:

>>> Seriously?  Your show stopper bug is that, very occasionally, clang emits incorrect debug info?  And Steve's is that clang emits code that is fully compliant with the C standard, but gives more floating point precision than he wanted?
>>>
>>> If those are the most serious problems we have with clang, then it's time to remove gcc 4.2.1 from the tree right now.  I wish the problems that we had with it were so trivial...
>> NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

BTW, this was over the top for me, and I shouldn't have done this.

>> There are serious problems with clang on arm right now. And it doesn't support mips. Removing gcc is way premature.
>>
>> Warner
>>

> I didn't meant to start a clang vs gcc thread but it's evident that
> we were actually in need of expressing the issues about clang
> and the future of the tool chain.
>
> IMHO:
>
> - gcc has to go. It is old and, despite the scotch tape, unmaintained.
> libstdc++ in particular really has to go first: it is too confusing to
> have two C++ libraries where one of them is simply obsolete.
> OpenOffice, for example was recently ported to clang and libc++
> however it will not work with the libstdc++ in base due to lack of
> C++11 support.

gcc is slated to be removed in 11. It is still useful in 10 to bootstrap the external toolchain solution for non-tier 1 ports which otherwise would be hard to build since we have no useful packages yet. Some ports won't even build gcc by default in 10. Our external toolchain support is brand new and shiny, but hasn't been through an end-to-end test yet on all the platforms.

Warner