[CFT] gcc: support for barcelona

Rui Paulo rpaulo at felyko.com
Mon May 27 19:12:49 UTC 2013

On 27 May 2013, at 09:41, Pedro Giffuni <pfg at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello;
>
> Almost a year ago I tried to bring in the support for AMD's barcelona
> chipset into our gcc. This actually filled a lot of holes in that were left
> when similar intel support was brought in.
>
> Unfortunately I had to revert rapidly such support as it broke building
> some C++ ports even when it was not being used.
>
> jkim@ did some cleanup of the support and the patch has been
> gathering rust here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/reworked-r236962-3.diff
>
> The patch still applies cleanly and there is a good chance it will work
> since there have been other fixes merged since the last time.
>
> I did some basic testing and so far it works for me but I don't have
> the specific chipset. Additional testing would be welcome.

I have to question the general direction of this work. We switched to Clang as the default compiler for i386/amd64 some months ago and now you're working on improving our base GCC especially for amd64? I don't really understand how useful this is. It doesn't strike me as a good idea to see people working on things that will eventually be replaced / removed.

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo