x86 IOMMU support (DMAR)

Jeremie Le Hen jlh at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 27 12:27:07 UTC 2013

Hi kib,

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 01:58:44PM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> For the several months, I worked (and continue the work now) on the
> driver for the Intel VT-d for FreeBSD.  The VT-d is sold as the I/O
> Virtualization technology, but in essence it is a DMA addresses
> remapping engine, i.e. it is advanced and improved I/O MMU, as also
> found on other big-iron machines, e.g. PowerPC or Sparc.  See the
> Intel document titled 'Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed
> I/O Architecture Specification' and chipsets datasheets for the
> description of the facility.
>
> [...]
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/DMAR.1.patch

Which CPU flag is needed to be able to test this?

My -CURRENT machine has:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6320  @ 1.86GHz (1869.90-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6f6  Family = 0x6  Model = 0xf  Stepping = 6
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0xe3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>

--
Jeremie Le Hen

Scientists say the world is made up of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons.
They forgot to mention Morons.