amd64/178684: gpart cannot get my GEOM tree

woodelf wood_elf at 126.com
Thu May 16 11:50:01 UTC 2013

>Number:         178684
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       gpart cannot get my GEOM tree
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have three HDDs on my laptop. And below is my partition schemes:

ada0 (BIOS partition table)
ada0p1:Windows 7 x64 Professional
ada0p2: NTFS data partition

ada1 (GUID partition table)
ada1p1:BIOS boot partition (for grub2)
ada1p2: Gentoo Linux with root on ZFS (from ZFS On Linux project)

I install Gentoo Linux with zpool version 5000 (feature flags support).

Now I want to install FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE on ada2 with root on ZFS. But when I use gpart to create partitions on ada2 with the command "gpart create -a 4k -s 64k -t freebsd-boot ada2", gpart gave me the output "gpart: Cannot get GEOM tree: Unknown error: -1". If I type "gpart show", I got the same output. And when I try to run bsdintall tool, it told me "there is no disk available".

I also tried latest 9.1-STABLE and 10.0-CURRENT, still the same issue. However, things were a little different. The output of "gpart show" became "gpart: Cannot get GEOM tree: Illegal byte sequence". And also the output of "gaprt add" became "gpart: Autofill: Illegal byte sequence".

It seems FreeBSD partitioning tool cannot detect my HDDs at all. However, if I remove ada1 from my laptop, then I can install FreeBSD successfully.

I asked some of the developers from ZOL project, they said ZOL will not touch GUID partition headers or tables at all, and the problem shall not be with ZFS.

I am not sure if this is gpart bug, because if I try to install Gentoo + ZFS with existing FreeBSD, everything is fine.
>How-To-Repeat:
Not quite sure if this issue is because incompatibility between gpart and ZOL. I think you can also repeat this problem when you try to install FreeBSD with existing Linux + ZOL.
>Fix:
What I can do now is only to remove the disk which has Linux + ZOL to finish installation of FreeBSD.