amd64/179556: FreeBSD 9-1 amd64 - Install freeze on HP Proliant DL580G5

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Mon Jun 17 13:40:02 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR amd64/179556; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ewald Jenisch <a at jenisch.at>
To: Mark Saad <nonesuch at longcount.org>
Cc: <freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: amd64/179556: FreeBSD 9-1 amd64 - Install freeze on HP Proliant
 DL580G5
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:36:13 +0200

 On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 04:32:54PM -0400, Mark Saad wrote:

 > Ewald
 >   I see you have 128G of ram in the system , How long did you wait
 > before you decided the box was locked up ? I ask as the default
 > memory test on 9.1 can take a long time to test the ram .

 Hi Mark,

 I definitely waited a *long* time - in fact I left the server running
 overnight and it was still stuck at the "USB..." message.

 > Can you boot of the box with the following option enabled ?
 > "hw.memtest.tests=0" and let me know what the result it.

 Nope, didn't help - same problem as before: The last thing I see is
 "usbus0: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0"

 > Also have you applied the latest HP firmware updates via SPP 2013-02
 > to the box ? If not can you do this and let us know if this improves
 > the situation.

 Yes, I'm already at the latest firmware-level, i.e. the one that came
 out this spring.

 -ewald