amd64/179556: FreeBSD 9-1 amd64 - Install freeze on HP Proliant DL580G5

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Fri Jun 14 18:40:00 UTC 2013

>Number:         179556
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 9-1 amd64 - Install freeze on HP Proliant DL580G5
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Upon trying to install FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 on a HP Proliant DL580G5 the system freezes/hangs. Last message appearing at the console is
"usbus0: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0"

Already tried the following:
o) booting verbose vs. non-verbose
o) instead of booting into the installer go for single user mode
o) check variable settings - interestingly enough "kern.eventtimer.choice" is empty
o) tried booting with modified "kern.eventtimer.periodic" settings (0 vs. 1)

Whatever I tried the system freezes at exactly the same situation.

I also posted a message to freebsd-questions on June 6 2013 - subject "Panic/reboot while trying to install 9.1 on a HP Proliant DL580G5" but the tips that came back as an answer also didn' help.

For your reference I posted a couple of screenshots so you can see that's going on:

http://www.jenisch.at/HP-Proliant-DL580G5-settings
http://www.jenisch.at/HP-Proliant-DL580G5-plain-boot-FreeBSD-9.1
http://www.jenisch.at/HP-Proliant-DL580G5-verbose-boot-FreeBSD-9.1
http://www.jenisch.at/HP-Proliant-DL580G5-boot-prompt-show-commands
http://www.jenisch.at/HP-Proliant-DL580G5-boot-FreeBSD-9-1-with-eventtimer-settings

Thanks much in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
-ewald
>How-To-Repeat:
100% reproducible
(BTW, the server hardware definitely isn't the problem - this box ran as a VMware server for several years without any problems)