amd64/177760: circular dependency with libiconv/gettext

Will Foster (sadsfae) sadsfae at funcamp.net
Wed Apr 10 18:30:01 UTC 2013

>Number:         177760
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       circular dependency with libiconv/gettext
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When following the UPDATING.txt instructions up to or prior to 20130316 (my ports were dated 2014-02-25) the following error occurs -after- removal of gettext and during the build of libiconv.

Shared object "libintl.so.9" not found, required by "sed"

# pkg delete -f devel/gettext (goes ok)
# portmaster converters/libiconv devel/gettext (libiconv build fails to error above)

Because devel/gettext is removed the system is left unusable for many applications.  In my case I simply restored from ZFS root snapshot to troubleshoot various approaches with help from folks in the FreeBSD forums.

The only make config option set for converters/libiconv was [x] Encodings: Include extra character sets

Full details are here:
https://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=38970

>How-To-Repeat:
>From ports dated prior or up to 20130316 attempt to follow /usr/ports/UPDATING.txt instructions where libiconv now handles the lib/charset.alias file instead of devel/gettext:

# pkg delete -f devel/gettext
# portmaster converters/libiconv devel/gettext

Removal of devel/gettext port removes the library "/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9" which is needed by sed during the build of libiconv.

>Fix:
To workaround this issue the following needs to be done:

# cp /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9.new
# pkg delete -f devel/gettext
# cp /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9.new /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9