amd64/171355: FreeBSD 9.1rc1 (and 10-HEAD) not booting on HP Pavilion g6 2147sl

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 9 11:00:21 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR amd64/171355; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexander Motin <mav at FreeBSD.org>
To: Stefano Marinelli <stefano at dragas.it>
Cc: attilio at freebsd.org, bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: amd64/171355: FreeBSD 9.1rc1 (and 10-HEAD) not booting on HP
 Pavilion g6 2147sl
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:50:42 +0300

 On 09.09.2012 13:05, Stefano Marinelli wrote:
 >> Thanks. As I see here, disk probe stopped just on soft-reset stage. I still see no problem there, except that soft-reset didn't complete.
 >>
 >> Looking on messages, I think you have no verbose kernel messages enabled. Could you enable them (boot_verbose="YES") and repeat?
 >
 > Sure!
 > The three pics:
 > 0x40 - http://www.dragas.org/~draga/IMG_20120909_105237.jpg
 > 0x08 - http://www.dragas.org/~draga/IMG_20120909_105356.jpg
 > 0x01 - http://www.dragas.org/~draga/IMG_20120909_105506.jpg

 Thanks.

 One more thing I see there is missing one or both "AHCI reset: device
 ready after Xms" messages. There should always be either such message or
 "AHCI reset: device not ready after 31ms" for each connected device.
 "AHCI reset: device ready after 0ms" I see there is a bit special from
 point that it completes immediately without using callout(9) events.
 That and also the fact that AHCI reset sequence haven't changed since
 FreeBSD 9.0 makes me guess that problem may be not in ahci(4) driver,
 but in timecounters(4), eventtimers(4) or callout(9) subsystems.

 Could you try to add such loader tunable:
 kern.eventtimer.timer="i8254"

 If it help, send me output of `sysctl kern.eventtimer` and full verbose
 dmesg.

 --
 Alexander Motin