Kernel Compile Fail

Fabian Wenk fabian at wenks.ch
Tue Dec 25 16:09:44 UTC 2012

Hello Joseph

On 25.12.2012 15:32, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
> I compiled my custom kernel (or so I thought), but 'uname -a' shows it
> compiled with a generic kernel?
>
> FreeBSD alex-laptop 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Dec 24
> 20:06:49 CST 2012     root at alex-laptop:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> Whereas in the past, it showed my custom kernel config in the above
> path. I was running i386 before, does that make a difference? Or did I
> miss a step somewhere?

> when building and installing, I issued:
>
> 'make buildkernel kernconf=ALEX-LAPTOP'
> 'make installkernel kernconf=ALEX-LAPTOP'

I am not sure if 'kernconf=' will work too or if it needs to be
in uppercase letters. Alternatively you could set the following
line in /etc/make.conf:
KERNCONF=ALEX-LAPTOP

And then in /usr/src/ you only need to use 'make buildkernel' and
'make installkernel'.

> alex at alex-laptop#> cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf
> alex at alex-laptop#> ls
> ALEX-LAPTOP     DEFAULTS        GENERIC         GENERIC.hints   Makefile
>          NOTES           XENHVM
>
> I'm not quite sure what to expect now.

This looks correct. Did you also adjust the 'ident' line in your
ALEX-LAPTOP file from GENERIC to ALEX-LAPTOP?

I am not sure if the "-" in the kernel name will work. I do
remember having problems building a kernel with a number in the
name. But this was more then 10 years ago, but I still avoid it
and do use only letters. So it is probably better to just use
ALEXLAPTOP instead of ALEX-LAPTOP.

bye
Fabian