cpu setting in kernel options file

b.f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 15 06:21:59 UTC 2012

>The really important bit being the first line. Could I put K8 and
>gcc/clang be okay with it? Or should I leave the cpu line in my kernel
>conf file alone?

Leave it alone.  The choices for the cpu directive in the kernel
config file, as described in config(5) and listed in
src/sys/conf/options.<arch> (the only choice for amd64 is HAMMER),
have nothing to do with the choices available for the CPUTYPE variable
(which you may want to change to suit your hardware -- these are the
architecture-dependent options available for the -march and -mtune
directives of your compiler that are also recognized by bsd.cpu.mk),
or with the cpu descriptions printed during boot.

b.