amd64/162708: FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 amd64 fails to boot on Dell Optiplex GX620

David J. Weller-Fahy dave-freebsd-gnats at weller-fahy.com
Thu Nov 24 19:50:10 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR amd64/162708; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David J. Weller-Fahy" <dave-freebsd-gnats at weller-fahy.com>
To: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at acm.org>
Cc: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/162708: FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 amd64 fails to boot on Dell
 Optiplex GX620
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:41:08 -0500

 --Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

 * David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-freebsd-gnats at weller-fahy.com> [2011-11-22 23:=
 51 -0500]:
 > * Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at acm.org> [2011-11-22 22:45 -0500]:
 > > I've tried a source upgrade of a GX620 te RELENG_9_0 without
 > > problems so this would appear to be associated with the DVD boot.
 > > If I get the opportunity, I'll download a DVD and try booting it.
 > >=20
 > I'll try the upgrade (source or freebsd-update) sometime within the
 > next few days, and see what I encounter... I didn't think of
 > installing 8.2 and upgrading, so perhaps it *is* just the boot CD.

 It is not just the boot CD.  I just completed an upgrade from
 8.2-RELEASE-p2 (based on the mfsBSD special edition image) to 9.0-RC2
 via freebsd-update following the release instructions [1].  After the
 first reboot I experienced the exact same freeze as initially reported.
 When doing the upgrade, I noticed /boot/device.hints had an addition for
 attimer.0.  I'll next try to get 9.0-RC2 to boot without ACPI (I'll try
 removing that hint).

 [1]: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-November/064609=
 =2Ehtml

 --=20