amd64/162314: not able to install FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1 as a guest on Hyper-V

BHASKAR TIWARI ebhakt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 18:00:34 UTC 2011

>Number:         162314
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       not able to install FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1 as a guest on Hyper-V
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I am installing Free-BSD latest version on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 over as an host on Hyper-V which is the virtualization technology comes bundled with the product !!
Hope you know about that !!
I have tried the
FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
and
FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso

both have unsuccessful installation results
I have tried installation a couple of times. The dvd works great and shows all the options.
I have tried the installations with standard, Express and custom installation options.
I am choosing to install it in entire disk.

Then under "Install Boot Manager for drive ad0?"
<I think there is some problem here>
I have tried it a couple of times with all the three options> But none of them works

Under Label : I have chosen "Auto Defaults".

Under Distributions i have chosen:
"Developer", "Kern-Developer" and "User"

Media type:
CD/DVD

and then i click commit

Everything works up till here:

Then it shows the progress bar, Message : "Extracting base into / directory".

In the end this message is shown:
Message
Write Failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1425408 bytes)
						      (100%)

Now if it goes back to the same screen where it says :
"Choose custom installation options"

It is this time that i got this error!!

Earlier it was once when the write was successful and then i rebooted the machine but that time it was giving strange error after the reboot saying that there are no Boot manager
>How-To-Repeat:
Please install the latest version of freebsd on and over Hyper-V on windows 2008 R2 as guests
I have tried to install version 7 over hyper-V and it goes all fine and then it reboots well , but there is another problem there : I am unable to do "startx"
Plz help me
because i am a freeBSD fan and i want to use this Operation system as my base (host) Os in future : Like using it with xen
Please help me so that i can try my hands on FreeBSD
>Fix:
I think that FreeBSD is not able to write the boot partitions onto the disk or not even anything at all