amd64/155135: Does Not Boot On a Very Standard Hardware

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Wed Mar 2 22:20:11 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR amd64/155135; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at acm.org>
To: John <linux-kernel at o2.pl>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: amd64/155135: Does Not Boot On a Very Standard Hardware
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 07:44:08 +1100

 --gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

 On 2011-Feb-28 22:49:13 +0000, John <linux-kernel at o2.pl> wrote:
 >I have pretty much standard computer hardware. Nothing exotic. Just C2D
 >with Intel chipset (ICH8) and NV 8400M GT.

 Can you please describe the hardware and BIOS you are using:  What
 brand/model of motherboard, what BIOS?  I presume you are booting
 off a physical DVD - in which case, where is the drive attached?

 > I attach "lshw" in html for easier reading.

 I'm not sure why you think that embedding 70kB of HTML into an
 otherwise plaintext report makes anything easier.  And note that it
 contains virtually no useful information for these purposes.

 resented for 3s with some options, i.e. the "bootloader choice". Shouldn't =
 it be the other way? First show me what I want to load, and then I chose wh=
 at to load, and after my choice the system loads? Why is it the other way r=
 ound? Every Linux distro does this.

 >Should be:
 >
 >1.Load the options
 >2.Chose the option from install/live/this kernel/that kernel/this desktop =
 environment/ that desktop environment etc.
 >3.Then load what I have chosen.
 >4.Load the system

 Feel free to discuss the philosophy of loading and booting Unix
 kernels on an appropriate mailing list.  See=20
 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dboot&sektion=3D8 and
 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dloader&sektion=3D8 for a
 description of what actually happens.

 >Is:
 >1.Something loads, arrow is spinning...
 >2....still loading...
 >3."bootloader choice" appears for 3s
 >4.I hit enter (I chose 1st option if I am that fast to catch that 3s gap)
 >5.The system restarts the computer

 It's not clear what you mean by "bootloader choice" - this name does
 not appear in the boot code and your description of the load sequence
 doesn't make it clear which point in the load sequence you are
 referring to.  Can you please advise exactly what is displayed and
 what the 1st choice actually is.  Are you able to setup a serial
 console to capture the actual output?  If not, are you able to post a
 photo?

 >>How-To-Repeat:
 >study the lshw output.

 Contains no relevant information.

 > Something is not right with the BSD kernel.

 If my interpretation of your description is correct, the kernel hasn't
 even been loaded so this seems unlikely.

 --=20
 Peter Jeremy

 --gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

 --gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy--