Is Gnome2 not supported on the amd64 ARCH?

fbsdmail at dnswatch.com fbsdmail at dnswatch.com
Mon Jan 3 06:56:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, January 2, 2011 10:29 am, 文鳥 wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 06:42:27 -0800 (PST)
> fbsdmail at dnswatch.com wrote:
>

>> Hello again, and thanks for your response.
>> I commented it out after responding to your response, and
>> it happily built. I just figured I'd use the CPUTYPE?= option to gain
>> better amd64 profiling, but apparently it's only _really_ available for
>> the i386 CPU's. I say that because I've always used that option when
>> building on those ARCH types, and never ran into a problem. Oh well,
>> hopefully sometime son, it'll be better supported on the amd64 - fingers
>> crossed. :)
>>
>> Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
>>

>> --Chris
>>

> Please take a look at /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
> It clearly states that athlon-mp is for the Intel x86 arch _only_.
> Wikipedia tells us the same
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_mp#Athlon_XP.2FMP). Therefore I
> assume, that (since you've got amd64 running), your CPU isn't really an
> "athlon-mp", but rather one of the following (again from the make.conf
> example): opteron, athlon64, nocona, prescott, core2
>

> PS: I personally use "native", since that gives me the same level of
> optimization as choosing the correct CPU by hand would. Additionally, you
> might consider compiling ports with gcc45, since the base cc doesn't
> support newer CPU features like e.g. SSE4.2.

Right you are. :)
As I stated to Luchesar, in my last reply, it's been awhile since
I actually researched make(1) && make.conf(5). The last amd64 boxes
I built using ths CPUTYPE?=athlon-mp were on 8-(PRE)RELEASE.
In fact the only reason I chose athlon-mp is because one of the
first ports I built echoed that in the config flags during the
build. So without any research, I figured that to be (howeer mis-
takenly) the correct choice. :)

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

--Chris

> Best regards