amd64/159412: 7.3 RELEASE: ciss0 ADAPTER HEARTBEAT FAILED error

Sergey starikov at caotus.ru
Wed Aug 3 12:00:23 UTC 2011

>Number:         159412
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       7.3 RELEASE: ciss0 ADAPTER HEARTBEAT FAILED error
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD www.mydomain.ru 7.3-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p2 #0: Mon Jul 12 19:04:04 UTC 2010     root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

and

FreeBSD ldap.mydomain.ru 7.3-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p2 #0: Mon Jul 12 19:23:19 UTC 2010     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
The issued FreeBSD systems are installed on HP Blade (HP Smart Array E200i SCSI controller).

I've seen this issue twice during this summer:

The first time was on i386 system at 03.06.2011 (uptime was about 200 days) and the second --- on amd64 one at 01.08.2011 (uptime was about 260 days).

The issue is in that system continues to respond icmp requests (pings), but other network services (for example ssh) are inoperate). The physical console also do not responce on keyboard events (the last message is: "ciss0: ADAPTER HEARTBEAT FAILED").
Only initialized by reset button reboot returns system to normal operation.

P.S. Earliear I've failed with attemp to install on this hardware the FreeBSD 8.1.
>How-To-Repeat:
I'm not shure, that this issue could be reproduced intentionally.