cellular modems and amd64 FreeBSD

Michael Fuckner michael at fuckner.net
Sat Apr 9 06:47:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 22:10:28 -0500, Tyson Boellstorff
<perlcat at windstream.net> wrote:
> A couple weeks ago, I posted about not being able to make my sierra
> wireless cellular modem work on amd64 FreeBSD. It is recognized as a
> CDROM instead of anything that can take an IP.
>
> dmesg info is here:
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?201103212107.18762.perlcat
>
> It turns out that I'm on about half of the right track.

Wireless USB devices show as CDROMS, but there are a lot of ugly
possibilities to implement this. Usually it is something like a
SCSI-eject command telling the device to change it's class.
Most devices today are switched by u3g, but there also is a manual way
with usb_modeswitch (http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/) to
understand what is really happening.

My own experiences are written down here (in german, but the commands
should be enough to understand what I am doing):

http://michael.fuckner.net/me/blog/index.php?/archives/471-UMTS-mit-FreeBSD8.html

Regards,
 Michael!