amd64/144503: 8.0-RELEASE does not boot on DL585

Gunther Schadow gunther at schadow.us
Sat Mar 6 03:20:02 UTC 2010

>Number:         144503
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       8.0-RELEASE does not boot on DL585
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
8.0-RELEASE
GENERIC
amd64

System does not boot, neither from freebsd-upgrade nor from boot CD.
With or without ACPI or APIC it always gets stuck at the line where
the pci0 <PCI bus> is being probed.

I am running 7.0 just fine. Skipped over 7.1 and 7.2 thought 8.0 was
time to upgrade, but it does not boot.

Not sure if there are any other people with DL585s, I have 3 (more
actually) and neither of them boots.

May be 32 GB of RAM is too much for it? Nothing else special.
There is QLogic ISP card in the PCI bus, but can that halt it?

I tried to boot with verbose mode, but not much comes out of that.
It just gets stuck.
>How-To-Repeat:
8.0-RELEASE cd boot on DL585.
>Fix: