When will the amd64 be supported?

fbsdmail at dnswatch.com fbsdmail at dnswatch.com
Fri Jun 4 20:44:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, June 4, 2010 8:35 am, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 12:16:50AM -0700, fbsdmail at dnswatch.com wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> If it isn't already apparent, this is my first attempt building kernel
>> on an AMD based arch. I have spent some 20yrs building world/kernel on
>> the arch i386. But, after reading everything I thought I would need to
>> know, I'm /still/ unable to complete a successful kernel build on the
>> amd64 arch.
>>
>> cd /usr/src make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYAMDKERN
>
> You need to copy MYAMDKERN  to /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/ first!
>

>> fails with alot of "i386" errors So, on a fresh 8-RELEASE install from
>> DVD w/cvsupped src && ports, now
>> running GENERIC, with a successful buildworld... Is it possible to build
>> for the amd64 arch?
>
> You _did_ install the amd64 architecture, right? Not i386? Because if you
>  installed the i386 it is better to install the amd64 version from
> scratch than to try and cross-build and install amd64 on an i386 system.
>
>> If so, can anyone suggest where I went wrong?
>>

> Cross-building and especially installing an amd64 kernel and userland on
> i386 is quite involved and not recommended. Save yourself the trouble and
> don't go there.
>
> Just re-install using the CD or DVD built for the amd64 architecture.
> It's less
> painfull. You should also delete all your ports and rebuild them for
> amd64.
>
> Roland
I was a _complete_ DOPE. I had been working on several systems
simultaneously with too few hrs. sleep. That I _completely_ overlooked
all the "i386" messages during boot. So it didn't _finally_ occur to
me _until_ I started to try to determine what would cause world to be
built as "i386". Then, like a "ton of bricks" I realized -- D'OH!
I shoved the _wrong_ DVD into the system. :-0

Sorry for all the UN-necessary noise, and thanks to everyone for their
indulgence.

--Chris

--
kern: