who broke config(8) and why?

fbsdmail at dnswatch.com fbsdmail at dnswatch.com
Fri Jun 4 05:53:30 UTC 2010

Greetings,
 In an attempt to build an AMD64 kernel, after a buildworld session. I was
greeted with a couple of unexpected surprises:
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYAMDKERN returns ERROR MYAMDKERN not found...

Aparently FreeBSD only put the sys/amd64,ia64,etc... to _appear_ to support
architectures other than "i386".

Fine. I'll use the older method:
cd sys/amd64/conf
config MYAMDCONF

ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
config version = 600007, version required = 600009

Make sure that /usr/src/usr.sbin/config is in sync
with your /usr/src/sys and install a new config binary
before trying this again.

If running the new config fails check your config
file against the GENERIC or LINT config files for
changes in config syntax, or option/device naming
conventions

LOOK. I already read about this in UPDIATING. I've _already_ builtworld
from an 8-RELEASE CD w/cvsupped src && ports.
What gives? According to UPDATING:
20100502:
	The config(8) command has been updated to maintain compatibility
	with config files from 8.0-RELEASE.  You will need a new version
	of config to build kernels (this version can be used from 8.0-RELEASE
	forward).
###
(this version can be used from 8.0-RELEASE forward).
I'm using 8-RELEASE
###
  The buildworld target will generate it,
###
 so following
	the instructions in this file for updating will work glitch-free.
	Merely doing a make buildkernel without first doing a make buildworld
###
I just DID a buildworld
###
	(or kernel-toolchain), or attempting to build a kernel using
	traidtional methods will generate a config version warning, indicating
	you should update.

I don't get it. Why was the config(8) toolchain deliberately broken in
"midstream" (the middle of a release)?! Shouldn't this/ese change(s) been
made at the start of an _upcomming_ version?

I suppose I have to spend another few days downloading 9-RELEASE, and
tailoring it for my needs as I have already done in preparation for this
build/install.

_Please_ if I can avoid starting from start, all over again. Can someone
tell me where I can download a pre-compiled config-toolchain. So that I
can resume a biuld/install.

Thank you for all your time and consideration in thia matter.

--Chris