uname -m/-p for compat32 binaries

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 11:48:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 04:17:16PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Just checked, and I was a little off. We don't actually do this in the
> kernel, we override it in the environment UNAME_ variables. All of our
> software that wants to look at the machine arch uses uname to do it,
> so we go that route. That way, we're not really lying to anything that
> wants to get the definitive answer from the hw.machine architecture.
> I can't defend it any further than that, maybe Peter or Paul or John
> can comment on it. I personally don't see one way as being better than
> the other, as they both have potential problems. As you noted in your
> previous email, it's an easy change that could have been done long ago;
> maybe the fact that it hasn't points to a good reason not to.
I know about environment variables affecting uname output, and use
it if possible. Unfortunately, there are some situations where environment
not propagated to the childs, or explicitely cleaned, e.g. sudo without
-E. Or, it is hard to establish environment at the first place.

I plan to commit it tomorrow.