amd64/148537: IP respond to ping even if the attached interface is no carrier

Fabrice Bruel fabrice.bruel at orange-ftgroup.com
Tue Jul 13 09:10:02 UTC 2010

>Number:         148537
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       IP respond to ping even if the attached interface is no carrier
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD HPFBSD8PF64 8.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Fri Jul  9 08:47:02 GMT 2010     root at HPFBSD8PF64:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FBSD8PF  amd64

Hello,

Please considered a server with two or more physicals Ethernet Interfaces. To supervise this server, we are using a tool that try to ping all the IP address of the server, but the IP packet come by just one interface (that is on the same LAN on the supervision tool).

If an interface is "no carrier", its IP answer very well to the ping request, so in our tool, everything seems to be OK.

Is it possible that the FreeBSD Kernel checks the status of an interface before answer ?

Thanks
Fabrice
>How-To-Repeat:
- A server with two physical interfaces.
- a static route to access the second interface through the first interface
- unplugged the network cable in the second interface
- ping @IP_attached_to_the_second_interface