amd64/131314: [modules] [panic] large modules fail to load on amd64

Kenneth D. Merry ken at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 6 18:00:27 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR amd64/131314; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken at freebsd.org>
To: Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/131314: [modules] [panic] large modules fail to load on amd64
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:58:11 -0700

 On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 19:49:26 +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
 > on 06/12/2010 19:11 Andriy Gapon said the following:
 > > BTW, do you remember if it was initialized or not, and how it was used?
 > > I.e., did the structure end up in .data, .rodata or .bss?
 >
 > I couldn't reproduce the problem with an array of about 800KB in size in any of
 > the three sections.
 > I think that gives a ground for closing the PR.
 > If the problem resurfaces then we could re-open it or open a new one.
 > Do you agree?

 I would do one more test, but this time try bumping the size up to say 5MB
 or so.

 The reason is, the module in question was already very large to start with,
 and the table put it over the edge.  So the total amount of static data in
 the module was probably a good bit larger than 800KB.

 Ken
 --
 Kenneth Merry
 ken at FreeBSD.ORG