amd64/149757: msk0: phy write timeout

John Smith the_mix_room at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 07:50:08 UTC 2010

>Number:         149757
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       msk0: phy write timeout
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul 19 02:36:49 UTC 2010
    root at mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

My msk0 card sometime completely crashes out, and begins spitting out "msk0: phy write timeout message".

Have started a thread on forums.freebsd.org where most of the information is hopefully available. http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=16638
dmesg output is available in the thread.

In order to resolv the problem a reboot is required. ifconfig msk0 up && ifconfig msk0 down does not help.

The problem does not occur at specific times. Now it occured while the machine was idling, other times it has occurred while playing media with mplayer. Sometimes the problem arises almost immediately after booting, other times the machine can be on for days without the problem.

I will gladly help in submitting more information once I know what is helpful.

>How-To-Repeat:
No idea, have not been able to consistently determine a time when it occurs