SMART data from behind SAS MegaRaid

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 19:35:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:55:23PM +0200, Ireneusz Pluta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know how to access SMART data from behind LSI SAS MegaRAID?
> The smartctl utility does have -d megaraid option, however supported
> only in Linux, not FreeBSD. More system details:
>
> # mfiutil show adapter
> mfi0 Adapter:
>    Product Name: MegaRAID SAS 84016E
>   Serial Number: P709144809
>        Firmware: 7.0.1-0036
>     RAID Levels: JBOD, RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID6, RAID10, RAID50
>  Battery Backup: present
>           NVRAM: 32K
>  Onboard Memory: 256M
>  Minimum Stripe: 8K
>  Maximum Stripe: 1M
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD * 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Nov 21 15:02:08 UTC
> 2009     root at mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

amd64 is probably the most wrong selection of the list for the question.

I use mfip module (kldload mfip) to get passthrough access to disks.
Then, e.g. smartctl -a /dev/passX for proper value of X works for
SAS disks, but I have some issues on SATA disks. The issue is that
I cannot access last two disks in 16-disk array. Other drives are
correctly processed by smartctl.