amd64/145873: [build] cannot buildworld 8.0-STABLE

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 23:35:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR amd64/145873; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua>
> To: andy.lavr at reactor-xg.kiev.ua
> Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: amd64/145873: [build] cannot buildworld 8.0-STABLE
> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 00:26:18 +0300
>
>  on 22/04/2010 09:47 Andrei V. Lavreniyuk said the following:
>  > /usr/src/sbin/hastctl/../hastd/hast_proto.c:40:25: error: openssl/sha.h:
>  > No such file or directory
>
>  Sorry if this will sound harsh, but I have to ask: do you genuinely do not see
>  any connection between this error and you having WITHOUT_OPENSSL=true in your
>  src.conf; or do you want to ask or say more than what you are asking or saying?
>
>  If the former, then shouldn't you first try to discuss the problem (e.g. on the
>  mailing lists) before opening the PR?
>  If the latter, then why don't you just ask/say what you have in mind?  Or even
>  better, again, discuss it?
>
>  P.S.
>  Yes, I see that you have openssl from ports installed.

Andriy,
    This was a valid issue not related to amd64 (it should have been
filed under bin instead) in particular because the end-user chose to
install with WITHOUT_OPENSSL defined in src.conf and hastd requires
openssl to compile (and I assume link and run). Should openssl from
ports be picked up instead of system if openssl from base isn't
installed? Probably not a good assumption to make given the version
differences between ports and base today, but if the user chose to do
so, that could have been customized using /etc/make.conf or
/etc/src.conf to intelligently include /usr/local/include in CFLAGS
and /usr/local/lib in LDFLAGS if building world. However, it's
unsupported in my book and he'd be stuck trying to figure out where
any issues occurred and maybe he could get some assistance from
helpful developers who maintain pieces that would break from this, but
I wouldn't assume that to be the case.
    On the bright side of things, I forwarded the email to Pawel and
he was very responsive and committed a fix to HEAD for the PR (cheers
Pawel :)!).
Thanks!
-Garrett