Switching to AMD64 from I386 using make world

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 19 20:06:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:30:35AM -0700, JonathanGilpin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an i386 system running and I want to switch to AMD64. Is this
> possible using make world and a kernel recompile? If so, could someone point
> me in the right direction as I'm getting errors on make depend on the kernel
> compile..

It should be possible. But you'd have to write the new kernel and userland to
a separate partition or disk. And on the next boot you would have to boot from
that partition/disk.

Since most people do not have a separate partition handy, a better option
would be to make a full backup of your data and install amd64. Keep in mind
that amd64 binaries are somewhat larger on disk than i386 ones, so you might
want to adjust partition sizes. You will also have to install all your ports
again as amd64 binaries.

While you are at it, try the 8.0-RC ISO to reinstall from (it has just popped
up on ftp.freebsd.org, so you might have to wait for it to get to a mirror
near you). I've installed 8.0-BETA4 amd64 on my new laptop and it runs OK.

Roland