new to amd64

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 7 22:03:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 02:11:23PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> 	After years using i386, I finally installed amd64 and
> ... everything is just like I fondly remember.   :-)
> 	Thanks to all those who have made that happen.
> 	However, I'm still a little nervous about the things I don't
> know yet.  I'm about to build a custom kernel; would someone please
> take a look at the config file (appended) and tell me if there's
> anything I've added, or left out, that's going to break something?

It doesn't look like you left out anything critical. Generally, my philosophy
is to throw out what I don't use. Any bugs in code that isn't there don't
bother me. That holds not only for the kernel but also for userland. So look
at /etc/src.conf as well!

I would chuck the COMPAT_FREEBSD[456] options on a system without old
binaries, and add GEOM_ELI for disk encryption (this also needs the crypto
device). Since I'm not using 32-bits stuff on my amd64 system, I removed
COMPAT_IA32 (and excluded the lib32 stuff in src.conf). I also removed SCTP,
and never missed it. For my daily use system I remove all debugging stuff;
KDB, DDB, GDB, INVARIANTS, WITNESS and WITNESS_SKIPSPIN, STACK and KTRACE. For
a desktop, I tend to remove NFSSERVER. I do add the DEVICE_POLLING option.

If you are using it as a desktop and have a supported video card, add the agp,
drm and [type-of-card]drm devices or modules. And the appropriate sound drivers.

Roland