amd64/140067: [boot] 8.0-RC2 from ISO, after install, hangs on boot right before loader

Weldon Godfrey wgodfrey at ena.com
Sun Nov 1 16:30:28 UTC 2009

I went ahead and tested booting 8.0-RC2 in the Dell with the Perc5/I and
a spare 3ware card, it booted

Ok, I swapped the computers around, this would mean I would try to boot
with our 3ware controller and with our drive chasis attached and using
the Perc5/I, it hung at "-" after boot manager again.

I disconnected the drive chasis (we have two SAS chasis with a total of
24 drive).  It booted.  I had thought I tried this before bit this time
it worked.  I tried just attaching 1 chasis and 12 drives.  It locked up
at the "-" again

I went into the 3ware controller and disabled the ability to boot from
the 3ware card (we don't need to boot from it anyway), and with both
chasis attached, it worked.

We went ahead and went back to the computer with a PERC6/I controller
and it worked with the 3ware BIOS set not able to boot.

So it appears, that something has happened during the boot/loader
process in 8.0-RC2 that doesn't like the 3ware controller advertising
its drives as bootable.

This ticket is attached to amd64 but that was my mistake.  This problem
happens pre-kernel.   Let me know if someone can change the category of
if you prefer for me to submit a new PR.

Thanks!!!

Weldon