amd64/135040: FreeBSD/amd64 does not (always) detect disk on SB600/AliveXFire eSata 2

Ralf Folkerts ralf.folkerts at gmx.de
Fri May 29 07:10:04 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR amd64/135040; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ralf Folkerts <ralf.folkerts at gmx.de>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, ralf.folkerts at gmx.de
Subject: Re: amd64/135040: FreeBSD/amd64 does not (always) detect disk on
 SB600/AliveXFire eSata 2
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 08:36:17 +0200

 Hi,

 just a follow-up:

 Running i386 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE (and, then 7-STABLE) the Board ran fine
 all night; I had it running three buildworld buildkernel installworld
 installkernel in a row and then just kept it running this night w/o any
 Problems.

 Today I replaced the disk (with an "identical" one, i.e. same Manuf.,
 Type/Model/Series). Booted off the 72-RELEASE amd64 DVD. The Hrd-Disk
 was detected. Then tried an installation; created partitions and slices
 1:1 identical to the schema I used on i386. However, when it had to
 create the filesystems it aborted with

 "unable to find device node for /dev/ad4s1b in /dev. The creation of
 Filesystems will be aborted."

 I started fixit and under /dev/ there was only ad4 and ad4s1. A
 disklabel -r /dev/ad4s1 showed that there was no disklabel on ad4s1. I
 re-started from DVD and tried a second time: Same message, no disklabel
 on ad4s1.