[Fw: Re: [PC-BSD Dev] vmap()-like kernel interface ] - call for review

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 3 09:54:08 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 18:32 +0200, Mario Pavlov wrote:
>  >
>  >    >> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Mario Pavlov  wrote:
>  >    >>> Hi, please find the attached e-mail
>  >    >>>
>  >    >>> regards mgp
>  >    >>>
>  >    >>> P.S. thanks, PC-BSD team
>  >    >>
>  >    >> I'm not a kernel dev, but I noted that pmap_unmapcontig doesn't
>  >    >> take into consideration when va is NULL; I know it's bad driver
>  >    >> programming if uncontig is implicitly called with NULL, but there
>  >    >> should be some error handling or something here (a NULL deref
>  >    >> will occur in pmap_qremove, which will cause a panic). Thanks,
>  >    >> -Garrett
>  >
>  >    Mario> Hi, looks like most people just ignored this email. I am sure
>  >    Mario> you all are very busy and you don't have time for everything
>  >    Mario> but please try to find some time and review this work. People
>  >    Mario> made an effort ... don't just throw it away. You know, many
>  >    Mario> people long for 64bit driver. here's the attachment:
>  >    Mario> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/attachments/20090213/567e04b7/PC-BSDDevvmap-likekernelinterface.eml
>  >
>  >    Mario> thank you
>  >
>  >    Mario> regards, mgp _______________________________________________
>  >    Mario> unsubscribe, send any mail to
>  >    Mario> "freebsd-amd64-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"
>  >
>  >Does this have something to do with Nvidia amd64 driver?
>  >I am not very familiar with kernel stuff... But I know that Nvidia amd64
>  >driver badly needs some work on some kernel ABIs.
>  >
>  >
>  >--
>  >darcsis ZAI gmail DIAN com
>
> Hi Darcsis,
> yes it has a lot to do with the 64bit nVidia driver
> that patch I'm trying to get reviewed implements one of the features requested by nVidia
> note that there are only two missing features left ... and this is one of them ... in other words this one could potentially leave us with only one missing features
> check this out: http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests

Ok, I guess this is going to fall into my court, at least initially.
I'll try and give it a look soon.  Assuming that the feature is what we
want, someone with more experience with the vm system will need to
review.

robert.